Bitten by the Craft Bug: Jewelry Holder redux

Somehow I recently started browsing some fantastic craft blogs and I am hooked! I learned years ago that I do best with projects that can be started and finished in one to two sittings, otherwise I completely lose my motivation to finish. Exhibit A – a coffee table I bought for $1 about 5 years ago. It had water rings and some gummy stuff on it. It’s been sanded down to the original wood for about 5 years without completing the job. I’ll finish it someday. I hope. It’s actually moving into our living room which is next in line to be painted (swatches are up on the wall, only two colors left in the running!). Once the LR is painted, then I think I’ll be motivated to finish the coffee table to complete the room.

Onto the Jewelry Holder!

I started with this piece, purchased out of a craft store clearance aisle for $1.00. Confession: I bought it years ago, too, thinking to do something with it. At least I finally did something!

I sanded the frame briefly so the paint would adhere, painted it blue, and roughed it up with a sanding sponge. I found some cool print scrapbooking paper and using Mod Podge, glued it into the back to cover that silly Nature’s Bounty photo. I added two layers of Mod Podge over the top to seal it.

The next step took a couple trips to hardware stores to find the screening. I decided I wanted wider spaces and more structure than window screening. This is called hardware cloth (I believe it’s the 1/4 inch). At first, I only saw it in a huge bundle for $10. After my husband suggested a local hardware store, I found it where they would cut to size, so I only bought 1/2 yard and paid about $1. Woot!

I spray painted the hardware cloth with a neutral taupe so it doesn’t stand out too much from the cool paper. After shaping it to fit tightly in the space, I ran a quick line of hot glue and pressed the screen firmly in place. There was one corner that wanted to pop up, so I found something flat & weighted to lay over the top so the screen would stay firmly in place until the glue dried.

Next step was to roll & glue some brown ribbon around the edges. I reattached the two existing hooks and voila!

Now, I have a place to organize my hook earrings and necklaces! Sweet!

This was such a fun project that I immediately started concocting other ideas. It’s so amazing to create beautiful things by being resourceful and creative!

I’m linking up to:

House of Hepworths

Advertisements
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

  • Hi, I'm Janice. I'm part bookworm and part creative. I love both science and music (and the science of music). I'm stumbling around trying to grow closer to God. Click the photo to read more about me.

  • I’m so glad you’re here!

    Thanks for taking time to read my posts in the midst of all the great blogs out in the blogosphere! If you like what you read, please follow me, or sign up to get my posts in your inbox. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment!
  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

    Join 754 other followers

  • Follow me on Twitter

  • Check these out:

    31Days_Rest_thumb
  • Copyright 2014 Claygirlsings | all rights reserved

%d bloggers like this: